The demand for green data centers continues to soar across the nation, and many data centers are shifting to green operations. Fortune 500 companies, along with a myriad of local, state, and national governments, are not giving up their requirements for renewable power and energy. The outlook for green data centers in 2017 is still green.
Understanding Green Data Center Operations
According to industry experts, the following are some advantages of incorporating green options for optimal data center operations:
- Green options reduce monthly and recurring costs at data centers.
- Green data centers have a stronger emphasis on efficiencies per watt, as well as on dropping total power consumption.
- Green techniques enable centers to reduce the use of HVAC equipment, lowering the need for expensive electricity, water, and regular maintenance.
Despite these benefits, some basic economics for data center operations are still in place. No truer is this than when it comes to powering and cooling servers. However, green-based energies have been proven to lower traditional electrical and water bills as well.
Green Data Center Analytics and Data
Green data center practices are booming due to new analytics and operational efficiencies. Machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) utilize predictive analysis to determine favorable outlooks for green-based technologies and energies. This movement is progressing despite many firms publicly shying away from the term “green.”
The foundation of green data centers revolves around lower operational costs. However, evolving technologies for power and water usage have also played beneficial roles across the board. Still, the true differences between non-green and green data centers in years to come may entirely be based upon power sources. In fact, industry experts strongly believe that:
- Wind, hydro, solar, and geo-thermal energies will define what a green data center is – or is not.
- Along with “gold standard” renewable power, the overall architectural optimization of entire facilities will play major roles.
- Centers will push for free cooling techniques, while implementing technical tricks to correlate with low-cost and green-based measures.
What About Nuclear Power?
Even with the rise of green data centers, the fight over nuclear power continues. In fact, a number of facilities have no choice but to use carbon-free nuclear power in the short-term. However, expect the industry giants to adopt and implement renewable power usage.
From large wind farms to solar facilities, the big guys are already investing in multiple forms of renewable energy. Whether these new powers will become staples for Fortune 1000 companies, however, remains to be seen.